There is this misconception in many that yoga is nothing more than just stretching. As neither strength nor cardio is involved, many men are hesitant to participate in yoga. For men, Yoga is as beneficial as for women. Yoga is quite an energetic exercise having a lot of benefits. Yoga not only helps us physically but also improves our mental health. It relieves stress and makes us happier. There is a range of asanas in yoga for men which gives physical, psychological, and social wellbeing.
Benefits Of Yoga For Men
- Yoga includes many breathing techniques that help to build strength in the lungs.
- Deep breathing exercises also reduce stress very effectively. Some poses increase the length and strength of muscles too.
- A combination of yoga and weightlifting is quite advantageous in activating muscles.
- Vinyasa or flow yoga improves the cardiovascular system and increases heart rate. This enhances the ability to take deep breaths and help in the overall transportation of oxygen.
- Another benefit is increased libido and sexual behavior.
Best Yoga Poses For Men
- Cobra Pose or Bhujangasana: This pose releases the tension generated in the lower back. Cobra pose helps in building the strength of the spine. Stretching is essential for anyone who is an athlete or does a lot of physical work. Stretching reduces the risk of injury.
- Chair Pose or Utkatasana: It is difficult even for the perfect fit male. It’s good for ankles and shoulders. It also stimulates gastric organs and builds stability.
- Boat Pose or Navasana: Boat pose provides strength to the core and spine. As it stimulates the prostate gland, boat pose is extra advantageous for men. Be it reducing tension in the pelvis or helping the digestive system; this is helpful in both.
- Standing Forward Fold or Uttanasana: This pose focuses mainly on stretching of muscles, increasing blood circulation, and relieving stress. It is excellent for men that are quite active physically.
Some More Poses
- Downward Facing Dog or Adho Mukha Svanasana: Not everything that appears simple is simple, and this pose is the best example of that. This pose stretches the body entirely. Therefore, it’s great for men. It also helps to calm the mind and in warm-ups.
- Low Lunge or Anjaneyasana: It lengthens the whole body from ankles to knees and chest to hips. Low lunge is a perfect yoga for men as it helps to practice balance.
- Bridge Pose or Setu Bandha Sarvangasana: This pose helps in sleeplessness, tiredness, and stress. It is helpful for men as it opens up the upper body and release muscle tension.
- Half Pigeon Pose or Ardha Kapotasana: This pose mainly focuses on the hip area. It opens up tight hips relieving the stress in the lower back also.
- Warrior or Virabhadrasana: Helps in building overall strength of the body
Instructions For Beginners
As a beginner, one should not just directly jump onto the most complicated poses. Even the most basic poses give strength and flexibility. Yoga not only helps and guide our body but also distress our mind. Yoga acts as a detox for the body by removing the toxins. Men who are regular in yoga are also saved from the injuries caused by playing sports or running. So just by giving 30 to 60 minutes every day for yoga, drastic changes can be observed in life.